The recent COVID19 virus has made invention a necessity for technology in many countries.
Ghana is one of the few countries using technology to track the COVID19 virus.
According to the business alert, This app was inaugurated on the 13th of April 2020. The launch of the COVID-19 Tracker in Ghana was done by the Vice President, Mahamudu Bawumia, and the minister of communication Madam Ursula Owusu Akuful.
PURPOSE OF THE COVID-19 TRACKER IN GHANA.
The main purpose of the COVID 19 Tracker is to help Ghanaians to track the route of the COVID-19 virus.
The app also helps the Ministry of Health to trace contacts as well as to monitor their movement.
You can also use the Ghana COVID-19 tracker to get information about symptoms of the virus, and if you are actually experiencing any of the symptoms, then you can contact the COVID-19 team to get tested.
Where To Download The COVID-19 Tracker In Ghana
the tracker app is yet to be published on PlayStore if you are using an Android phone. Also, those using iPhone and other Apple devices can download the Ghana COVID 19 Tracker App from the App store when it is being published.
How To Download The App For Tracking COVID-19.
Follow these steps to download and install the COVID-19 App in Ghana:
- Go to https://www.ghcovid19.com.
- Accept the terms and conditions
- Click on the download button below the terms and conditions.
- The app will start downloading, so you need to wait until the download is complete.
- Locate the apk file on your phone (GHCOVID19.apk)
- Click on the file to start the installation process.
- If your phone is set to block apps from unknown sources, then change the settings.
- Go to Settings on your phone then uncheck the old settings which block apps from unknown sources.
- Once the app installation is complete, click on “Open” to launch the COVID App.
- Continue using the tracker to trace contacts in Ghana.
Note that the COVID app is about 25.32MB in size.
What Is The Shortcode For The Tracker
The USSD code for tracking the COVID 19 in Ghana is *769#.
It is possible for you also to track this virus now.
If you don’t have a smartphone, you can still use the COVID-19 shortcode and still use the service.
When installing the app, you may get a notification like the one in here
This type of file can harm your device. Do you want to keep GHCOVID19.apk anyway?
- Click on OK to proceed.
- Download start
- Allow for this source
- Come back and click on install
- wait for installation
- App installed message comes
- Click on open
- Again, a message will come asking you to Allow GH COVID19 Tracker to access this device’s location.
- Click on Allow
How To Register And Use The COVID Tracker App
Follow these steps to register for the COVID 19 tracker app in Ghana:
- Open the app on your phone
- Enter your Mobile Number
- Enter your active email address in the text box.
- After entering your details, click on the Proceed button.
- You will be presented with a survey to gather information about you.
- Select your age
- Choose your gender in the next section
- Select your region. The tracker app has options for all the sixteen (16) regions in Ghana.
- Answer Yes or No if you have recently traveled abroad.
Information about your health
- Do you smoke? Select Yes or No.
The next section is a list of diseases. Select Yes or No if you have any of those diseases.
- Click the Next button
- The next section will ask you if you have had close contact with someone suspected to have COVID-19 infection. Select Yes or No as it applies in your case.
- The COVID-19 tracker app will then check your symptoms. Select those symptoms that apply to you.
NB: Loss of taste and smell is now a symptom of COVI-19, and hence it was included in the app.
When all is completed, click on Submit.
The final step is where Ghana health Service sends you a Thank You message.
Here is how it read:
Thank you for your help in our health and care services to slow the COVID-19 outbreak. Please share this app with others to help our country.
Note: This app does not give health advice but it allows you to assess your symptoms and help control the spread of COVID-19. Please visit the Ghana Health Service website if you need health advice.
NB: The app is powered by the Ministry of Communication